Movies – Minus the Mansplaining
Tired of white men dominating the field of film analysis?
So are we.
That’s why every Monday we drop commentaries on films from a feminine, inclusive perspective.
And each movie fits into a theme for the month.
We promise – there’s a method to the madness.
Meet the Madames
Before finding her calling in podcasting, Kris had 25 jobs that lasted anywhere from six hours to a few years, often at the same time. Kris’s husband thought the CIA might have a use for her encyclopedic brain. Alas, they weren’t interested in her knowledge of 90’s television. She’s now grateful to have an audience that appreciates her Frasier references.
Some more tidbits about Kris…
- Being an uber introvert, Kris is a bibliophile. Her favorite books are J.D. Robb’s In Death series, which she can recite in her sleep.
- As a military spouse, Kris has been on the move. A LOT. She has lived in California, New Jersey, Mississippi, Texas, and Maryland…in the last 8 years.
- Two adorable dogs and one tubby feline allow Kris & her husband to share the house with them.
- Kris has a collection of Funko pops & action figures that is slowly consuming her home office.
- Kris uses acupuncture, naturopathic medicine, and other natural therapies to keep lupus in remission – where it belongs.
In another life, Amy was a successful tech entrepreneur. Eventually, she got tired of working for picky clients & took a leap with podcasting. Now, she’s embracing the mic & living her dream as a content creator. The transition from corporate to casual has her feeling like Alfred Pennyworth straightening his tie at a rave, but she’s making it work. When she isn’t editing, designing, & sighing at her tech-challenged partner, Amy enjoys binging her favorite shows, with Battlestar Galactica & Firefly topping the list.
A few more details about Amy…
- Though she can’t draw to save her life, she is an avid oil painter.
- Video games are Amy’s favorite pastime, with Wolfenstein at the top of her list.
- Amy is queer & looks forward to the day she can come out of the closet.
- She is a loyal fan of the Longmire book series and the Netflix show.
- One day, Amy hopes to create a virtual framework by which she can live in Stark Tower & have unlimited access to all of Iron Man’s toys.
The Madames Mascots (a.k.a. Kris’s Zoo)
Natty is an energy drink in canine form – a Monster, specifically. She’s basically a toddler after a birthday party, but all the time. Her hobbies include playing hide & seek in the rain, chasing her sister around the house, and eating her own poop.
Becky is a feline of the “lumpus fattus” breed. She is most often found where she does not belong. Her favorite activities are eating, sleeping, trying to climb into Mommy’s mouth, and also trying to assassinate her in a myriad of ways.
Logan is Kris’s big, sweet blonde boy. He’s as loyal as they come, but not the brightest crayon in the box. If he’s not playing fetch, he’s busy being outwitted by his mischievous younger sibling. Hmm… he may be named after the wrong superhero.